Does Heel Inc’s Traumeel reduce postoperative pain? Traumeel is a homeopathic pain-relief medicine that contains many natural herbal ingredients that have been used for centuries. Its primary ingredient is Arnica montana, also known as Wolf’s Bane.
Traumeel is used by many to relief sore muscles, tendons, and for example back or joint pain. But does Traumeel offer post-surgery pain relief?
Clinical evidence does not agree nor really convince but so many users are extremely satisfied with this natural remedy.
well it does work!! I was shot in a home evasion, seven times, and had 12 surgeries, and have a lot of nerve pain, and arthritis pain, and swelling, and a friend of mine told me about this product, its great, try it and anyone who said it doesn’t work, probably haven’t tried it!! -Yero Martin
Let’s have a closer look.
Arnica has been used by Europeans as an herbal medicine for centuries, and its pain-killing properties have been compared to those of low-dosage ibuprophen (“Arnica montana,” 2013).
Arnica is known for its anti-inflammatory effects in the healing of wounds and abrasions (VanBuren, Grace, 2010, December 10a).
Other Traumeel Ingredients
In the 1930’s the German physician Dr Reckeweg made Traumeel by combining therapeutic herbs and minerals that had already been used medicinally for centuries.
Other major ingredients of Traumeel® besides Arnica include;
● Chamomile — Has properties as a mile sedative, and is commonly sold as an herbal tea.
● Belladonna — Also known as Nightshade. Though acutely toxic, Belladona has medicinal properties in small doses, and is effective for relieving ailments such as headaches, PMS, ulcers, motion sickness and inflammations. It is also mildly sedative and anti-spasmodic.
● Witch Hazel — Has strong astringent properties.
● Monkshood — Asian plant known to have very strong anesthetic properties.
● Echinacea angustifolia — North American flower known to have analgesic and pain-relieving properties.
● Symphytum officinale — Herb that is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, and which stimulates cell-growth and repair.
The ingredients of Traumeel have been used for many years for therapeutic purposes, such as for:
- pain (Atropa belladonna),
- inflammation (Echinacea),
- bruising (Arnica montana),
- wound healing (Matricaria recutita, Calendula officinalis),
- bleeding (Achillea millefolium),
- edema (Mercurius solubilis),
- and infections (Hepar sulfuris). (source: )
Studies in the Medical Literature
A published in 2011 in the International Journal of General Medicine compared Traumeel® cream to common non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), which are used to control inflammation and pain.
- The study concluded that randomize trials and observational and surveillance studies have shown that Traumeel® was effective in treating acute musculoskeletal injuries, and associated pain.
- The study suggested that Traumeel was at least as effective and was better tolerated by patients than standard NSAIDS (Schneider, Christian, 2011, Mar 25).
Another study published in 2010 in BMC Clinical Pharmacology performed a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of Traumeel® in minimizing post-operative pain and analgesic consumption following bunion-surgery.
Eighty patients in this study were either given Traumeel® tablets or an indistinguishable placebo, and took other oral analgesic pain medications as needed.
- The results of this study; Traumeel® was not found superior to the placebo in minimizing pain or analgesic consumption over the 14 days of the trial. A transitory reduction in post-operative pain was noted in the Traumeel® component on the day the surgery occurred (Singer, Shepherd R., et al., 2010).
But yet another study concluded that; Traumeel demonstrated efficacy in minimizing post-operative pain following repair of H. valgus.
But hey wait a minute, isn’t homeopathy ineffective?
Yes that’s true. It’s quackery. The James Randi Educational Foundation offered $1 million dollar to anyone who could prove that homeopathy works. You may guess it, this reward has never been claimed.
The strange thing about Traumeel is that it seems to work for many people (just check out the reviews) even though it is a homeopathic medicine.
Simply put, homeopathic products don’t work better than placebos, they can’t because there’s virtually no active ingredient present in them. Anyone who tells you something else is wrong.
Surprisingly, Traumeel does work for a lot of people. You could credit the placebo effect but more likely, it has to do with the concentrations of the active ingredients.
Contrary to many true homeopatic products which are diluted until there’s virtually nothing of ingredients left, Traumeel contains low concentrations of natural ingredients.
According to at least one PubMed study: “high dilutions have no effect, but an effect is seen within a certain range of low concentrations, after which higher doses have the opposite effect. “.
Traumeel is inexpensive and, also according to a PubMed study, it is “at least as effective and appears to be better tolerated than NSAIDs”.
Traumeel FDA Approved?
Traumeel is clinically proven and has been introduced by the FDA or Federal Drug Administration as one of the effective pain relievers in the world of medicine.
Does Traumeel Have Side Effects?
Traumeel contains all natural-organic ingredients. Since it is formulated of natural materials, it has no side effects. However, it’s always wise to have a look at the ingredients in case one should be allergic.
Several clinical studies show Traumeel to be safe and rarely causes side effects. If you, for any reason, would like to find a Traumeel alternative you should really check out BioAstin Astaxanthin.
What Are Traumeel’s Benefits?
Apart from arnica montana, Traumeel combines 12 botanical and 2 mineral substances as active ingredients to produce a synergistic result, enhancing the therapeutic effects of applying arnica alone.
Crunched my baby toe into a stool and it was red swollen and incredibly painful. First application of the cream, pain diminished by 50%. I put it on twice a day and toe is almost healed in record time. Love this stuff. – Reggie
Research on Traumeel is ongoing and more health benefits are suspected to come to light. One interesting example: preclinical evidence and other findings suggest that Traumeel helps stabilize the immune system.
In case you want to relieve your joint pain, sore muscles, tendonitis, arthritis or other musculoskeletal pain your doctor might recommend you Traumeel.
(The musculoskeletal system is made up of the body’s bones (the skeleton), muscles, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, joints, and other connective tissue that supports and binds tissues and organs together. source: ).
Traumeel is truly one of the best products on the market for pain and inflammation. I just started taking the tablets and ave been using ointment & cream for many years.
I highly recommend homeopatic meds for pain rather regular medicines…thank you for finding this product …CC (Colette Conroy)
Traumeel® Preparations and Uses
Traumeel is used as a natural anti-inflammatory medicine for things like muscle and sports injuries. It is also supposed to help relieve the pain of arthritis, and may be useful to promote healing in burns and cuts, and help reduce scarring (VanBuren, Grace, 2010, December 10b).
The various formulations of Traumeel might contain some, but not all of the ingredients described above, and the ingredient concentrations will vary between them. Traumeel is available without prescription and sold to the public in the following preparations:
- ● Traumeel® Gels and Ointments — Relieve joint pain, back pain, muscular pain.
- ● Traumeel® Tablets and Oral Drops — For the temporary relief of muscular pain, joint pain, sports injuries and bruising.
- ●Traumeel® Combo Packs — Ointment/Tablet combo for pain relief.
- ● Traumeel® Gel Packs — A package of 12 tubes of gel for pain relief.
I suffered for six months with severe knee pain could not walk without a cane! In one month of taking Traumeel I am pain free and no cane needed !!!! – Ava Holiday
Click here for .
Traumeel® is a pain relief medication made from natural ingredients, formulated in creams, ointments, gels, and tablets. It is claimed to provide temporary relief for muscular pain, joint pain, sports injuries and bruising.
Its effectiveness has been examined in the medical literature, with one study saying Traumeel® is as effective as NSAIDS in relieving pain; while another study stated it is no more effective than a placebo.
Although clinical evidence is not particularly convincing, the are. Traumeel is very well reviewed and lots and lots of people just are lyrical about Traumeel.
It’s just one of these products that haven not been labeled proven effective by regular science but are used by many to their satisfaction.
Prior to using any form of this medication, patients should consult their medical professional to see if Traumeel® might work for them.
Have you used Traumeel?
Did it work for you? We would love to hear about your experiences.
For more tips on how to streamline surgery recovery see this overview of supplements that improve the surgical healing process.
- Arnica Montana. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 1, 2013, from
- Schneider, Christian. (2011, Mar 25). Traumeel – an emerging option to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the management of acute musculoskeletal injuries. Int J Gen Med.4,225-34. doi:10.2147/IJGM.S16709.
- Singer, Shepherd R., Amit-Kohn, Michal, Weiss, Samuel, Rosenblum, Jonathan, Maoz, Guy, Samuels, Noah. . . Oberbaum, Menachem. (2010). Traumeel S® for pain relief following hallux valgus surgery: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Clin Pharmacol, 10(9). doi:10.1186/1472-6904-10-9
- VanBuren, Grace. (2010, December 10b). Traumeel Gel – Calms Muscular Injuries.
- Efficacy of a homeopathic preparation in control of post-operative pain. Source: .